1. I can go to Cuba and smoke all the cigars I want. However, I don’t like Castro (I mean really, Che is just your Minister of Agriculture? – and then you leave him hanging in Bolivia? COme on!) and I don’t smoke cigars. So that one is a bit of a wash.
2. I have the priviledge of riding out the storm of being the butt of jokes that Americans love to tell. Thing is, many of them are stinking funny. It’s only annoying when people actually tell me I’m talking “wrong”. Honestly, I’m not going to get a new accent – it’s been 6 years I’ve lived in the USAmericas and I still talk “wrong”. So, most people are not haters – they are genuinely funny.
All of this, because I got this list in an email from Kayla, and I thought it would be fun to post. I laughed out loud. Feel free to do so also, especially if you are in a public place – it always makes people wonder.
26 Signs Showing You Might Be Canadian
1. You’re not offended by the term “HOMO MILK”.
2. You understand the phrase “Could you pass me a serviette, I just dropped my poutine, on the chesterfield.”
3. You eat chocolate bars, not candy bars.
4. You drink Pop, not Soda.
5. You know that a Mickey and 24’s mean, “party at the camp,eh!!!”
6. You don’t care about the fuss with Cuba. It’s a cheap place to go for your holidays, with good cigars and no Americans.
7. You know that a pike is a type of fish, not part of a highway.
8. You drive on a highway, not a freeway.
9. You have Canadian Tire money in your kitchen drawers.
10. You know that Casey and Finnegan were not part of a Celtic musical group
11. You get excited whenever an American television show mentions Canada.
12. You brag to Americans that; Shania Twain, Jim Carrey, Celine Dion & Mike Myers are Canadians.
13. You know that the C.E.O. of American Airlines is a Canadian!
14. You know what a touque is.
15. You design your Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.
16. You know that the last letter of the English alphabet is always pronounced “Zed”.
17. Your local newspaper covers the national news on 2 pages, but requires 6 pages for hockey.
18. You know that the four seasons mean: almost winter, winter, still winter and road work.
19. You know that when it’s 25 degrees outside, it’s a warm day.
20. You understand the Labatt Blue commercials.
21. You know how to pronounce and spell “Saskatchewan”.
22. You perk up when you hear the theme song from ‘Hockey Night in Canada’.
23. You are in grade 12, not the 12th grade.
24. “Eh?” is a very important part of your vocabulary, and is more polite than, “Huh?”
25. You actually understand these jokes, and forward them to all of your Canadian friends! Then you send them to your American friends just to confuse them!
26. You know that it is a Zedbra, not a zebra.